Things Which Have Gotten Awesomer For Me Since Arriving In Paraguay
- My skin cleared up.
- I’m drinking a lot more water.
- I’ve lost a couple of (admittedly unnoticeable) pounds.
- For the first time in over a year and a half my hair doesn’t feel like I didn’t rinse out all the shampoo.
- I get to hang out with Nico, the Hagermans’ friendly, obedient boxer. First order of business upon returning to the States? Convincing my parents to add one of these awesome dogs to their household zoo (which currently consists of: One of these, named Patches) (well, and the ferrets too, I suppose, but that’s only temporary).
Things Which Have Gotten Less Awesome For Me Since Arriving In Paraguay
- I’m covered in itchy red bites. I think they’re from mosquitoes.
- Now that I’ve finally had guarana after a 19 year dry spell, I get the shakes just thinking about going without it again in a couple weeks.
A Really Neat Moth That Landed On The Table Last Night While I Was Blogging
Things Which I Already Knew In Theory, But Have Been Reminded Of In Practice, Since Arriving In Paraguay
- Leave spiders alone. If you see a spider in your house, it’s because there is something else living there upon which said spider would like to dine, and it is quite likely that you would rather deal with an unobtrusive Charlotte or two (or thirty) than the hordes of insects on which they are feeding.
- While you’re at it, leave the lizards, frogs, toads, and all the other bug-eaters alone too.
- If you want to check your cup for bugs before taking a drink, that’s fine, but don’t let that glance linger. If it’s small enough to miss visual detection, it’s (probably) small enough to miss oral detection. You’ll survive. Bottoms up.
- It’s tacky when people with things like summer houses, weekend cars, and quarterly vacation plans bemoan their fellows’ unwillingness to donate to humanitarian causes when they themselves are similarly unmoved. (You’re darn right I’ve been guilty of this myself more than once!) Either give, or stop complaining about how others aren’t.
- I really need to learn how to drive stick.